Blood orange, smoked salmon and edamame salad with mint dressing

Blood orange, smoked salmon and edamame salad with mint dressing :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

Over the weekend we were blessed with a couple of days with snow and beautiful winter weather. Something we haven’t seen much of this winter here in Gothenburg. It was such a joy to see the kids rush out in the garden to play first thing Saturday morning, and yesterday we took a wonderful long walk surrounded by sunshine and white landscapes.

Today it’s all gone. Sadly. The rain patters on our windows and sheets of snow and ice are slipping down the roof, making scratchy noises.

It would be the perfect day to make this salad again.

Sunshine on a plate.

I first made it a few weeks ago, when I had nothing in the fridge (well, almost…) but oranges and smoked salmon. And in the freezer I found a packet of frozen edamame beans. And bit by bit this recipe came alive on my kitchen counter.

Since that day I have perfected it with a little mint, alfalfa sprouts and a blood orange dressing. And I’m thinking this would be really good with some crumbled feta cheese or soft goat’s cheese on top as well.

It’s a no-cook recipe making it perfect for lunch on a stressful day or as a starter served on smaller plates.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Enjoy!

Blood oranges :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

Printable recipe

Blood orange and smoked salmon salad with mint dressing

serves 2-4

4 blood oranges
200 g cold smoked salmon, thinly sliced or torn into strips
1/2 cup edamame beans, or similar (thawed if frozen)
1 cup alfalfa sprouts, or similar
a handful fresh mint leaves

For the dressing:
juice from 2 blood oranges
1 tsp honey
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped

1) To make the dressing, put the orange juice and honey into a cup or small jug. Mix well using a fork and then slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste and lastly add the chopped mint.
2) Oranges: Cut the top and bottom off, then use a small sharp knife to remove all the skin and pith. Slice them thinly.
3) Arrange all ingredients on a plate (or individual smaller plates) and drizzle with the dressing. Top with fresh mint leaves.

Serve immediately with a slice of toasted rye bread.

TIP! If you’re a vegetarian try using e.g. avocado instead of salmon.

Sini | My Blue&White Kitchen - January 26, 2015 - 12:46 pm

What a stunning, yet easy to make salad! As you said, sunshine on a plate. And don’t we all need some sun during these gray days? xx

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 26, 2015 - 12:49 pm

Sini – thank you! Oh, yes – more sunshine in every possible way please! I hope the weather is better where you are today… Hugs from a rainy Gothenburg!

Ulrica – Krii's Kitchen - January 26, 2015 - 12:53 pm

Åh så vackert och gott det ser ut, jag verkligen älskar blodgrape. :)

Ha en fin dag i regnet Sonja.

Kram Ulrica

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 26, 2015 - 12:56 pm

Tack detsamma Ulrica! XX

Juliana - January 26, 2015 - 1:01 pm

This salad looks like it will make itself into my lunchbox this week. Lovely colors, Sonja!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 26, 2015 - 1:05 pm

Juliana – thank you! I’m sure it would sit perfect in your lunch box :)

Natasa | My daily sourdough bread - January 26, 2015 - 6:38 pm

What an interesting combination, I would never think of putting an orange juice into salad, definitely worth trying :) And photos are just beautiful, a true inspiration to learn the photography more.

Pang @circahappy - January 26, 2015 - 9:43 pm

This is TOTALLY a Sunshine on a plate. I don’t think I could love the dish more. So beautiful & super wonderful recipe indeed.

I absolutely MUST share this on my FB page :)

Btw, do you think it would taste ok with crab instead of salmon? :)

Sirpa Kärki - January 26, 2015 - 9:53 pm

Ser fantastiskt gott ut!

Kristin @ Tasty Joy - January 27, 2015 - 8:09 am

I’m glad to have found your blog, and have been perusing it a lot the last few days. I loved today’s post. When I heard the tell-tale sound of pattering rain yesterday morning, I was sad too! It’s so lovely here when everything is white; perhaps we’ll get another covering soon. I’m looking forward to trying this salad, I sort of went nuts last week buying blood oranges because they’re so cheap right now. I’ve been using them in everything, but still have a whole bag! Anyway, I look forward to reading more from you!

Sara på - January 27, 2015 - 9:24 am

Blodapelsiner (eller röda apelsiner som den heter i alla affärer numera) är så himla goda! Och snygga :) Jättefina bilder!

Kimberly/TheLittlePlantation - January 27, 2015 - 3:44 pm

This salad looks so inviting and fresh. Just wonderful.
So glad to hear too your kids had a great time in the snow :)

Yoanna - January 28, 2015 - 6:04 pm

That looks beautiful and yummy!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 29, 2015 - 12:43 pm

Natasa – thank you so much! Yep, def worth trying! :)

Pang – Thank you so much for sharing! I have no idea whether crab would make it ok in this salad… I think here the smoked taste and the oily consistency are what make it so good with citrus. But hey, give it a try!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 29, 2015 - 12:45 pm

Kristin – Thanks for leaving a mark and I’m glad you like it here! Gotta love oranges of all kind – and that they are cheap atm just makes it even better! :-)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 29, 2015 - 12:46 pm

Sara – ja, jag har noterat det också att någon tydligen tyckte att ordet “blod” inte skulle förekomma i samband med apelsiner längre. Lite märkligt ändå tycker jag… Men goda är dom – och vackra så det förslår!

Kimberly – thank you! Yes, it’s very fresh indeed!

Steph - February 7, 2015 - 3:52 am

Wow. What a wonderful idea. I am a big fan of mint and I am in love with this dish. Thanks for inspiration. Love, Steph

Stacia - March 19, 2015 - 4:12 pm

I love the dinnerware in your photos! Where did you get it?

Eva - May 22, 2016 - 2:04 am

Orange and salmon!! Oh my god , gotto try this recipe. Looking for new ways to cook Salmon. xx

January Rewound | Tasty Joy - January 31, 2015 - 12:18 pm

[…] Pound Cake Bruleed Pomelos with Honey and Nutmeg Pink Pomelo and Rose Tarts with Honey Meringue Blood Orange, Smoked Salmon and Edamame Salad Clementine Sunshine Smoothie And perhaps my favorite, Winter Citrus Upside Down […]

[…] Blood Orange, Smoked Salmon and Edamame Salad with Mint Dressing from Dagmar’s Kitchen […]

[…] For full post click here. […]

Veckans favoritmatblogg: Dagmar’s Kitchen - August 14, 2015 - 12:59 pm

[…] Dagmar’s Kitchen är full av pinterestvänliga matfotografier. Blodapelsin med rökt lax och mintdressing. Receptet finns här. […]

[…] die Anlage mit einem, wie Avocado anstelle von salmon.By: Sonia @ Dagmar Küche in Quelle:… Source […]