Five seeds flatbread with avocado, sweet potato and smokey tahini dressing (gluten free, vegan, paleo)

Five seeds flatbread with avocado, sweet potato and smokey tahini dressing  (gluten free, vegan, paleo) :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

I haven’t posted a bread recipe in a while now, which might make you think we don’t like bread or don’t eat bread very often. We absolutely do, but most weeks I don’t put bread baking high on my list of prioritizations. I love to have a Danish rye bread or some kind of sour dough (preferably spelt or rye) on hand for my daily avocado toasts, but most often I buy it at my local bakery. And I always like to have a low carb/high protein option on hand too, and since I first baked this bread about a year ago it is my go-to recipe when in need of a low-carb option. It is perfect for lunches or a light evening meal when you don’t have much time to cook.

The recipe is originally from this book on gluten free bread by Maria Blohm and Jessica Frej. I shot all the photos for the book, and of course also got to try most of the bread in there. I instantly fell in love with the seed bread, originally baked as little round buns, but I sometimes like to make it into a flatbread like in this recipe.

Scroll further down for my fillings suggestion and a super delish tahini dressing with both smoked salt and smoked paprika. Yum – so good with sweet potatoes!

Happy baking!

Five seeds flatbread (gluten free, vegan, paleo)

makes 6-8 squares

Step 1
6 tbsp (50 g) pumpkin seeds
6 tbsp (50 g) sunflower seeds
4 tbsp (40 g) sesame seeds (unhulled)
2,5 tbsp (20 g) chia seeds
2,5 tbsp (20 g) psyllium seeds
1 tbsp (10 g) rosehip powder
1 cup + 3/4 cup (400 g) water

1) In a large bowl mix all the ingredients for “step 1” and let sit covered at room temperature for at least 5 hours to swell up.

Step 2
1 tsp (3 g) active dry yeast (or 10 g fresh yeast), dissolved in 1 tsp water
3/4 cup (60 g) almond flour (or ground almonds)
6 tbsp (50 g) buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp (5 g) psyllium husks

seeds of your choice to sprinkle on top (optional)

1) Add the dissolved yeast to the seed mixture and blend well with a wooden spoon or fork. Add the rest of the ingredients in “step 2” and make sure everything is well blended. Cover and leave to rise for three hours.
2) Preheat the oven to 200 ° C (400° F). Transfer the dough to a parchment paper on a baking sheet, and form into a rectangular shape (about 20×30 cm) by flattening the dough with your hands. You can wet your hands with water if you find it sticky.
3) Sprinkle seeds on top (optional) and bake on the middle rack in the oven for 30 minutes or until slightly golden and firm. Remove from the oven and let cool completely covered with a tea towel. Cut the bread into 6-8 squares/rectangles. The bread keeps well in a sealed plastic bag for 3-4 days.

Fillings suggestion
avocado mashed with a squeeze of lemon juice
baked sweet potatoes
finely shredded cabbage (or salad)
radish sprouts
smokey tahini dressing

Smokey tahini dressing (perfect with sweet potatoes!)
4 tbsp tahini
3-4 tbsp water
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
¼ tsp smoked sea salt
¼ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

1) Put all ingredients for the dressing in a blender (or use a hand held) and blend well. Add more water if needed to adjust consistency. Store the dressing in an airtight jar or bottle in the fridge until using. Keeps for 5-6 days in the fridge.

valentina | sweet kabocha - August 29, 2016 - 5:34 pm

It looks really delicious!

Tuulia Talvio - August 30, 2016 - 9:12 am

This looks so delicious! I’ve been looking for a gluten-free bread recipe that would be similar to Danish rye bread (which I miss so much!) and I think this would do it..have to try it soon! :)

Tuulia Talvio - August 30, 2016 - 9:13 am

This looks so delicious! I’ve been looking for a gluten-free recipe that would resemble Danish rye bread (which I miss so much!) and I think this would do it. I have to try it soon, thank you for the inspiration! :)

Kimberly/TheLittlePlantation - August 30, 2016 - 9:36 am

This looks soooo good and I love the use of the microgreens here too.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - August 30, 2016 - 12:12 pm

Valentina – Thank you! I hope you’ll try it soon! xoxo//Sonja

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - August 30, 2016 - 12:14 pm

Tuulia – Thank you! I’m so glad you found it – I’m sure you will like it if you are a big fan of Danish rye bread! Not very similar, but delicious in other ways! xoxo//Sonja

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - August 30, 2016 - 12:14 pm

Kimberly – Thank you! I’m sure you’ll like this one! xoxo//Sonja

Agnes {Cashew Kitchen} - August 30, 2016 - 12:27 pm

Åh det här låter supergott! Är bröden liksom lite mjuka (dvs inte som knöäckebröd)? Ser så ut på bilden. Sparar receptet för att prova vid tillfälle :-)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - August 30, 2016 - 12:39 pm

Agnes – Tack! Yes, de är mjuka – väldigt gott!

Jennifer Farley - September 2, 2016 - 3:35 pm

This might just be one of the prettiest sandwiches I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - October 4, 2016 - 5:35 pm

Jennifer – thank you! That’s the sweetest comment!

donna hopkins - April 20, 2017 - 6:16 am

What is the difference in psyllium seeds and psyllium husks? I see them both listed as ingredients and I only have the husks…..

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 20, 2017 - 6:31 am

Hi Donna! The husks are ground psyllium seeds that form a gel-like consistency to help the bread stay together (when baking gf). If you don’t have the whole psyllium seeds you can replace them with e.g. chia or flaxseed.

Lisa - May 17, 2018 - 1:33 pm

What could I substitute for the rosehip powder? This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - May 17, 2018 - 2:38 pm

Hi Lisa! I haven’t tried, but I’m sure you’d be fine without the rosehip powder altogether. It’s so little, so I’m sure it won’t make much difference… Pls let me know if you do try!