My first blog post in English and A gluten free gingerbread bundt cake with lingonberries & Vanilla goat cheese frosting

I have been thinking about this over and over for quite some time now.

To start writing this blog in English? Or not?

Lately more than 50% of my “readers” (or should I say viewers) have come from other countries than Sweden. Every week I get a lot of questions on the recipes, and I do love your feedback so I’ve tried hard to keep up with answering e-mails and translating recipes. Because Google translation sucks. It really does.

And, I also love to connect with other bloggers. Worldwide. And Swedish is simply not the best language for that.

So I finally took the decision to do it.

Doing this transition from Swedish to English I realize that I’ll probably loose a few readers, but in the long run hopefully this will be more fun for everyone. More people will be able to read the recipes and I am going to love being able to connect more with other foodies worldwide.

However I sincerely hope that my Swedish friends and old blog readers won’t abandon me.

Please say you won’t?

For that reason I have decided, especially for you, to make a Swedish version of all recipes. Downloadable as a rather pretty and printable pdf file.

And a note for my international readers: English is not my native language so please bear with me if sometimes the words come out wrong or if my spelling’s crappy. I promise to do my best.

Gluten free gingerbread bundt cake with lingonberries & Vanilla goat cheese frostingGluten free gingerbread bundt cake with lingonberries & Vanilla goat cheese frostingGluten free gingerbread bundt cake with lingonberries & Vanilla goat cheese frosting

Whether you’re here for the first time or if you’re one of my old readers, I hope you’ll like it here and that I can inspire you to cook something. Because that’s what this blog is all about. And – I love comments and I’d love to know who’s been here – so please leave a comment and I’ll visit you too!

With that said, I’d like to skip directly to today’s recipe. And a short story to go with it, because most recipes come with a story.

……..

Many of my relationships have started over food. My husband and I fell in love over a blackberry crumble, and yesterday I had my friend and colleague Karin over for lunch – a friend that I actually met thanks to food (she went to one of my workshops). And she has come to be a really good one over short time. Whenever we meet we seem to cook for each other, and we seem to have just the same idea of what makes a perfect lunch. We love to enjoy something quite simple for “main” (like a soup), combined with a squishy cake or some homemade sweets for dessert while we discuss methods of baking and mixing different gluten free flours.

You see, Karin is intolerant to gluten and we always seem to find great interest in discussing varieties of gluten free flours. I am not gluten intolerant, but have for the last year or so found great thrill and joy in cooking and baking with gluten free alternatives – always trying to find the healthiest combinations.

So, Karin – I made this cake with you in mind. And I’m so glad you liked it. ‘Cause there’s nothing like cooking for someone who loves it and appreciates it like you do. Is there?

For our lunch this time we had a kale soup with prawns, and for dessert (yes, we had seconds too) we had this cake. A traditional christmas cake in many Swedish homes, but my take on it is gluten free and gifted with a frosting too. And not just any frosting – a vanilla goat cheese frosting.

Enjoy! And happy thanksgiving for those of you who celebrate tomorrow!

……..

Utskriftsvänligt recept
Printable recipe

……..

Gingerbread bundt cake with lingonberries and Vanilla goat cheese frosting

serves 6-8

2 eggs
1/3 cup (80 g) raw cane sugar
1/3 cup (70 g) coconut sugar
100 g butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup yoghurt (full fat, 3-5%)

2/3 cup gluten free oat flour
1/3 cup + 1,5 tbsp (50 g) almond flour
3 tbsp (35 g) brown rice flour
1 tbsp psyllium husks
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1,5 tsp ground ginger
1,5 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup lingonberries (or cranberries), lightly thawed if frozen + 2 tbsp brown rice flour

1) Preheat the oven to 175° C (350° F). Butter and flour a bundt tin with almond flour. Melt the butter for the cake and set aside.
2) In a medium bowl beat the eggs with sugars for at least 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add melted butter and yoghurt.
3) In a second bowl, mix all dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Then carefully fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture using a rubber spatula. Mix the lingonberries with the rice flour and add them to the mixture.
4) Scrape the mixture into the tin and bake in the lower part of the oven for about 40-45 minutes. Let the cake cool a bit before you remove it from the tin.

Frosting

60 g butter, at room temperature
1 + 1/3 cup powdered sugar
100 g soft goat cheese
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
pinch of sea salt

1) Whisk all ingredients for the frosting well using an electric hand mixer. Spread it evenly over the completely cooled cake and decorate with lingonberries or cranberries.

And for those of you who try to avoid powdered sugar for some reason jump over to Cookie + Kate for a great tip on making your own. For this cake I made mine from raw cane sugar.

Karin - November 27, 2013 - 1:01 pm

Så god och snygg är denna kaka, kan jag intyga! Och våra luncher är verkligen mysiga och inspirerande Sonja. Tack för igår! Kram!

annelie_ua / blomsterochbakverk - November 27, 2013 - 1:32 pm

Underbart! Vilka fantastiska bilder – vill baka NU men får väl vänta tills jag kommer hem … sitter här och klurar på om jag har alla ingredienser hemma. Jodå, tror minsann det. Och vilken fantastisk service med utskriftsvänligt recept. Me like. Toppen!

M. - November 27, 2013 - 1:34 pm

Jag fortsätter att läsa din blogg även om du skriver på engelska, du tar ju fortfarande otroliga bilder och skulle jag (mot förmodan) inte orka läsa så säger ju “bilderna mer än tusen ord” :)

Kakan ser underbar ut och perfekt att den är fri från gluten.
Önskar dig en fin fortsättning på veckan :)

Helene Hörberg - November 27, 2013 - 1:46 pm

Looks great Sonja! I’ll try this out on my international friends. Just wish I had those beautiful lingonberries to decorate with. Looking forward to Christmas in Sweden. xx

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - November 27, 2013 - 1:53 pm

I’ve been following you for a few months now, Sonja (jag pratar svenska), and am absolutely in love with your gorgeous site! I think you made the right decision in starting to post in English. I mean, is there a better way to connect with like-minded people around the world than through food?
Anyways, a pretty, delicious looking cake! I especially love the goat cheese frosting which I’m sure will find its way into my kitchen.

Have a great week and greetings from Finland,
Sini

Sarah | The Sugar Hit - November 27, 2013 - 2:03 pm

So glad I found your blog, and that you’re writing in English now. These photos and this recipe look absolutely delicious!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 27, 2013 - 3:33 pm

Karin – tack själv! Blir gött att låta ngn annan laga maten åt oss nästa gång ändå ;-) Fast vi har så trevligt på våra hemmaluncher.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 27, 2013 - 3:34 pm

Annelie – tack snälla! Åh vad spännande att få höra sedan vad du tyckte om den.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 27, 2013 - 3:37 pm

M – åh, vad glad jag blir! Detsamma till dig!

Helene – thanks Helene! Hoping to see you when in Sweden! How long will you be here?

Sini – thank you ever so much! And I totally agree with you – there is no better way to connect. Thanks for stopping by and for commenting!

Sarah – Thank you and thanks for leaving a trace by commenting! So glad you found your way here.

Ondina Maria - November 27, 2013 - 3:46 pm

Hej Sonja!!!!

I’m a recent viewer and I’m really glad you decided to start writing in English! Google translator really does suck but every time I had a questions, I would email my good friend Petra, who is Swedish :p

I really love your blog and always feel inspired by both the recipes and the photos!

Kram

Katarina - November 27, 2013 - 4:09 pm

Jag skriver både på engelska och svenska på min blogg, så jag förstår dig mycket väl i ditt val att börja skriva på engelska. Lycka till! Kakan ser otroligt god ut!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 27, 2013 - 5:37 pm

Ondina Maria – hej! Good for you to have a Swedish friend :-) And thank you so much for your kind comment!

Katarina – Tack så mycket – ja, jag tror det kommer bli roligare att bli förstådd och läst av flera där ute i bloggvärlden. Kram

Juliana - November 27, 2013 - 6:23 pm

I’m so glad you decided to switch to English, and I look forward to reading instead of only looking at your lovely blog. This cake looks delicious!

Chocolate&PiriPiri - November 27, 2013 - 6:54 pm

Thank you! :)
I’m following your blog from Portugal, and in English is much easier.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 27, 2013 - 8:38 pm

Juliana – thank you – and I’m looking forward to hopefully see you soon here in my studio. You should try the cake too!

Chocolate&PiriPiri – So excited to hear from all readers from different countries. I hope to see you here again soon now that you can also read my posts.

Marina Bogdanovic - November 28, 2013 - 10:36 am

Whoow…You’ve got 10 for your first english post !I’ve never heard about coconut sugar…is this really sugar ? I like your cake…it seems like Panpeppato (a little, of course), very old Cristmas cake made in Rome…

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 28, 2013 - 10:58 am

Marina – thank you so much! Coconut sugar (or coconut palm sugar) is produced from coconut flowers’ nectar and it has the lowest glycemic index of any sugar. It is light brown to the color and has a wonderful caramel taste. One of my favorite sugars to use! I must check out the Panpeppato cake – I was in Rome a couple months ago and oh how I fell in love with the city! You live there?

Karolina Lann Vallin - November 28, 2013 - 12:00 pm

Den ser helt fantastiskt underbar ut!!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 28, 2013 - 12:02 pm

Karolina – tack darling ;-)

Marina Bogdanovic - November 28, 2013 - 4:09 pm

Yessss…..I’m living in Rome. Quite nice place !

Joyce - November 28, 2013 - 4:17 pm

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you SO much for going ‘English’!!! Today, on Thanks Giving (I live in the US.) I am thankful for the change! Your blog is lovely…and now I can understand it as well as enjoy the photography. I know your loyal Sweedish readers will stay with you! Blessings to you going into the holiday season!

Suzette - November 28, 2013 - 10:00 pm

Tycker du ska skriva på svenska! Lägg till så att man kan välja språk istället! :)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - November 28, 2013 - 10:28 pm

Suzette – fast problemet är att då ska man skriva/översätta själv för att det ska bli bra. Google translate är tyvärr inget alternativ och nu valde jag detta för att jag inte har tid att skriva bloggposterna på två språk. Inte helt lätt… men nu är beslutet taget och jag trivs med det!

saa - November 29, 2013 - 6:34 pm

Jag har gjort en pepparkaka med messmör och mascarpone m hjotron ovanpå. får testa detta med, ser underbar ut!! http://saralouisespluggkrubb.blogspot.com/

Kristin // The Chocolate Box - December 1, 2013 - 6:23 pm

Förstår absolut att du vill skriva på engelska. Jag har funderat på det också, men har inte tagit det steget än.

Jag läser lika gärna svenska som engelska, så för mig spelar det ingen roll! Och de flesta svenskar kan ju engelska, men det är inte så många icke-svenskar som kan svenska ;)

Måååste prova att göra frosting på getost nångång, så himla nyfiken! :D

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 1, 2013 - 7:55 pm

Kristin – haha, nej svenska är ju inte världens mest gångbara språk ;-) Ja, prova getostfrostingen – det blev faktiskt ännu godare än jag trodde och passar väldigt bra till den starka kryddningen i kakan.

Mary - December 3, 2013 - 5:56 pm

Åh WOW, vilken helt underbart vacker kaka, och ser otroligt god ut! Vi får googla på engelskt lexikon om det är nåt vi inte förstår ;) Det är ganska bra språkträning att läsa matbloggar på engelska!

Nilla Tankebubblor - December 8, 2013 - 12:17 pm

Beautiful!

Carol G - March 20, 2014 - 9:27 pm

I came across your blog on Pinterest. I am in Brighton, Michigan USA just outside of Ann Arbor. Your blog is lovely and the cake looks yummy. It is nice to see someone making recipes using ingredients I already use. I cannot wait to see more. Thank you!

Perovskia - March 30, 2014 - 8:01 pm

Love. And love the English :)

Stacy - September 22, 2014 - 7:55 pm

Just love this cake, it looks adorable…can’t wait to try the recipe! I’ve featured it on my latest blog post…hope you get to read it…http://www.stylemyparty.co.uk/blog/simply-beautiful-cakes/ thanks for the recipe!

gail - December 31, 2015 - 4:28 am

thank you so much for writing this in english and especially for a most delicious recipe, the frosting is wonderful……..

[…] dagmarskitchen.se […]

The 33 Cutest Cakes Of 2013 - zdouf! - December 15, 2013 - 8:11 am

[…] dagmarskitchen.se […]

[…] dagmarskitchen.se […]

Simply Beautiful Cakes | Style My Party - September 22, 2014 - 7:45 pm

[…] Recipe & making instructions by dagmarskitchen.se […]

[…] the flavor of gingerbread but these nuts don’t do it for you, perhaps you could try this or this. Or head over to The Year in Food to try her Gluten free Gingerbread Cookies or to A Tasty Love […]

[…] dagmarskitchen.se […]