Saffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frosting

Saffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frosting

First of all – say hello to Dagmar’s new look. A talented graphic designer/artist has been working for a while to create a new logo to match the style of my blog. And finally it’s here and I am so so happy with how it turned out! What do you think? I hope you like it as much as I do.

And I thought to myself – what better way to celebrate than to bake a cake? After all there are several good reasons to have cake these days – christmas is coming up shortly, and lately I’ve had this newfound love for the idea of making cake.

Saffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frostingSaffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frosting

You see, I have never been a cake baking person. And I have to admit – not even for my children’s birthdays. They aren’t very fond of cake at all, and to be honest I’ve never been either. So we always have cup cakes or eton mess with candles stuck in it instead of cake.

Until I realized cake doesn’t have to be about lots of heavy whipped cream and over-sweetened sponge. But most importantly, it doesn’t have to be complicated!

Why did I have to turn 40 before the news hit me?

Saffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frosting

Also, when I grew up – cake was something you’d have after the cinnamon rolls and the mandatory seven little biscuits. Yes, that’s an old-fashioned Swedish “fika” (=coffee with snacks) and grandma would be very disheartened if you didn’t taste all of it. Hence I was always too full to eat cake, and it never tasted very good in my opinion.

However, ever since it struck me that cake doesn’t have to be complicated and that it can be whatever I want it to be I haven’t been able to think of much else. I want to bake cake all the time. At least I bake cake in my head all the time. And I have this constant eagerness to think out ways to style and photograph it.

Only problem is – we can’t eat much cake. If I bake one, I’d have one slice, P would have one (at the most…) and the kids would lick the frosting off of it and leave the cake totally messed up. And it would end its days in the bin.

So I thought, maybe for christmas I could bake one. And bring it to my parent’s house for more people to share.

So here it is – a christmas layer cake with saffron, orange and poppy seeds covered in a vanilla cream cheese frosting. I think we might even be able to eat all of it. There will be 14 of us. What do you think?

Wishing all of you a very merry christmas and happy baking!

Saffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frosting

Utskriftsvänligt recept
Printable recipe

Saffron, orange & poppy seed layer cake with Vanilla cream cheese frosting

a small four layer cake or a “normal size” two layer cake

0,5 g saffron + 1 tbsp boiling water
zest of 1 orange

300 g butter
1 cup + 4 tbsp (300 g) raw cane sugar

7 organic eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp milk

3 cups (300 g) almond flour
2 tbsp corn flour
3 tbsp black poppy seeds
pinch of sea salt

1) Preheat the oven to 175° C (350° F). Line two round cake tins (approx. 23-25 cm) with parchment paper for a two layer cake. Or, for a small four layer cake, use two rectangular baking trays (big enough to take out two small rounds in each).
2) Dissolve the saffron in boiling water. Add the orange zest and set aside. In a medium bowl mix almond flour, corn flour, poppy seeds and salt and set aside.
3) Using an electric hand mixer or a table-top mixer whisk the butter and sugar together until white and fluffy. Add the eggs (a little at a time) to the butter and sugar, whisking continuously. The mixture might curdle towards the end, but don’t worry too much if it does. The cake won’t rise so well, but it’s not a disaster.
4) When all the egg has been incorporated, fold in the saffron/orange zest and then the almond flour mix using a rubber spatula. Scrape the mixture into the baking trays and spread it out very gently.
5) Bake for about 30 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool a bit before lifting the cake out of the tin. Then cool completely on a wire rack.

Vanilla cream cheese frosting

150 g butter
100 g soft (fresh) goat cheese
100 g cream cheese
2,5 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out

1) Whisk all ingredients well using an electric hand mixer until very pale and fluffy.
2) To assemble the cake: Place one layer of the cake on a plate. With a knife or offset spatula, spread a fairly thick layer of frosting over the layer. Repeat for the remaining layers and finish off with an even layer on on the top and sides of the cake. Put the finished cake in the fridge to set for 10-20 minutes if needed.

Decorate with anemones if desired, but make sure to put some cling film or a round of white parchment paper underneath to protect the cake as anemones are not edible flowers!

TIPS! This is a very moist and squishy cake. You can bake it two-three days in advance and store tightly wrapped in clingfilm, and then assemble with the frosting just before serving. It is quite rich, so serve it in thin slices!

This cake also happens to be naturally gluten free.

Miri - December 17, 2013 - 4:07 pm

Dén kage er jo smuk !
Jeg ønsker mig en sådan kage til min fødselsdag i Februar- tak for at dele den :)

Stephanie {Mitt skafferi} - December 17, 2013 - 7:41 pm

Vad fin bloggen blev med den nya loggan! Och tårtan är nog den vackraste jag har sett på länge, så fint med blommarna och den gula och vita färgen ihop. Oftast är det enkla så mycket finare än det krångliga :) Önskar dig en riktigt fin jul om vi inte hörs mer innan dess. Kram!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 17, 2013 - 8:16 pm

Miri – tack! :-)

Stephanie – tack, vad gullig du är! Jag är väl minimalist “at heart” även om jag ibland försöker sväva ut ;-) Fast jag kommer alltid tillbaka till det enkla och tycker om det mest ändå. Önskar dig också en riktigt fin jul! Kram

Karin A - December 17, 2013 - 10:28 pm

Vilken fantastiskt fin tårta – den måste jag testa att göra! Otroligt vacker i all sin enkelhet. :) Kram

thecitygourmand - December 18, 2013 - 7:07 am

What an amazing layer cake! Love the new site design too

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - December 18, 2013 - 9:49 am

I love the new logo. It fits your style perfectly. And this cake is a beauty. Just look at that yellow color!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 18, 2013 - 11:20 am

Karin – tack! Ja, testa vetja!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 18, 2013 - 11:22 am

thecitygourmand – thank you so much!

Sini – Thanks, I’m in love with the logo too ;-)

Christine - December 18, 2013 - 10:48 pm

Din nye side er blevet SÅ smuk, Sonja! Og kagen er da noget af det yndigste jeg har set, lyder SÅ lækkert med appelsin og safran :-)

Xin - December 22, 2013 - 10:01 am

Beautiful cake! Hope to see more recipes in English.
My husband is 1/8 Swedish. I’d love to learn some Swedish recipes here as well:)

Marie Onäng - December 22, 2013 - 1:21 pm

Men vilken härlig godsak och ffa så fint fotat, som alltid. Älskar nya loggan – så du! Julkram

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 26, 2013 - 10:52 am

Christine – tack så mycket! Önskar dig en fortsatt fin jul!

Xin – Thank you so much! There will be swedish recipes (in English) for sure ;-)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 26, 2013 - 10:52 am

Marie – tack snälla! Ja, jag älskar loggan. Passar mig rätt bra tycker jag… Kram

Matea - August 1, 2014 - 9:41 pm

The flower on top is a lovely decoration! I’ll have to try it soon!

valerie scrivner - December 4, 2014 - 3:47 pm

You make everything look so lovely! I will try this cake soon, maybe for my birthday next week. I like the addition of goat cheese to the frosting.

Marlene - December 5, 2014 - 3:39 am

Thank you for the beautiful & delicious looking cake, (saffron, orange & poppy seed), photography & recipe, but so sorry as I do not know how to measure in “g”, grams? Could you please print a version that we could use to measure in cups, tsp., tabl., pinch. Thank you ahead of time as I was looking so forward to baking this wonderful treat!

Marlene - December 5, 2014 - 3:44 am

Could you please replace the (g) grams?,in the recipe for this wonderful looking cake, with tsp., tbl., cups, pinch, as I was so looking forward to baking & sharing it w/loved ones, & thank you very much!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 5, 2014 - 9:30 am

Marlene – Thank you! I am Swedish and live in Europe where we use grams. Other than the grams I’m thinking we’re using the same measurements right?

I don’t have the time at the moment to convert the entire ingredient list but I did however find a great conversion site here:

Try it and happy baking!

Marty Ehrhart - December 6, 2014 - 12:42 pm

Your cake looks scrumptious and I am dying to try to make it. I have one question–is there something I could substitute for goat cheese? I am not fond of it at all and neither is my husband.

Thank you!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 6, 2014 - 3:08 pm

Marty – Thank you! You could replace it with any regular cream cheese.

Katherine - December 8, 2014 - 8:04 pm

Hi there, this recipe looks great! I’m planning on making it for Christmas. I’m wondering about the “corn flour”: Is it corn meal or corn starch? I’m American, so it may have been lost in translation. I’ve never had a cake with goat cheese icing; it looks totally scrumptious! Thanks again for sharing!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - December 8, 2014 - 8:28 pm

Katherine – Thank you! It is corn meal! Happy baking and merry Christmas to you!

A Single Tier (with recipes) | Just Elope - February 6, 2014 - 10:01 pm

[…] Saffron, Orange & Poppy Seed Layer Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting […]

Weiße Hochzeitstorten | - September 13, 2016 - 12:07 am

[…] Torten von oben nach unten: mit goldenem Topper / naked Cake mit Himbeeren / mit Rüschen / mit weißen Blüten / mit Rüschen und Perlen / reinweiß mit Herztopper / reinweiß mit rosa Blume / weiß mit goldenen und rosa Blüten / mit eleganter Perlenverzierung / mit Spitzenmuster / moderne Form / flacher weißer Kuchen / Kuchen mit schwarzem Band / reinweiße Torte / Kuchen mit Blüte […]