Bergamot syrup

Bergamot syrup :: Photographed and styled by Sonja DahlgrenBergamot fruits :: Photographed and styled by Sonja Dahlgren

There are certain things I simply can’t resist. Among them many unusual seasonal delicacies.

Bergamot fruit. Just say it. It almost sounds like music. And it looks like sunshine in the midst of winter.

Bergamot is a fragrant fruit the size of a small orange, with a yellow/orange colour. The juice tastes less sour than lemon, but even more bitter than grapefruit. Imagine that!

Have you ever tasted a bergamot?

Bergamot fruits :: Photographed and styled by Sonja Dahlgren

Of course they don’t grow up here in the cold North, but at this time of year you can order them from Årstiderna – an organic to-your-door service which I use all year round. Årstiderna imports their bergamot from Morocco, and like all of their fruit it is organically grown. Get them from there or keep an eye open for them on your next trip to your farmer’s market or local store.

And although the bergamot has an intense acidity, are terribly quite tart in flavour and nobody in our house eats them “au naturel” (I don’t think anyone does actually) I couldn’t resist buying them.

After all they are a rare seasonal delicacy.

I bought two kilos. And I did have a plan for them. Last year I made bergamot marmalade, but this time I was planning to use some of them for our regular morning juices that we make in our juicer. And mixed with other fruits and vegetables they are great! But for the main part of my two kilos I had other plans.

Bergamot fruits :: Photographed and styled by Sonja DahlgrenBergamot fruits :: Photographed and styled by Sonja Dahlgren

I wanted to use a lot of the rind, since that is where most of the flavour sits. And if you’ve ever wondered what that unusual ingredient in your cup of Earl Grey tea was – that’s bergamot essential oil extracted from the rind.

And after some thinking I decided to make a syrup for use in tea, pancakes and desserts. And I am already in love with it.

My initial plan was to use honey, but after all it doesn’t make a syrup “healthier” just by using honey. And when heating honey, most of the nutritional benefits and healthful compounds are destroyed anyway. So I made the syrup using raw cane sugar. But you could probably use e.g. agave syrup if you’d like to make it somewhat healthier.

Either way it is delicious and really simple to make!

And if you don’t have any bergamot at hand I can imagine it would be lovely to make a similar syrup of any citrus fruit.

……..
Utskriftsvänligt recept
Printable recipe
……..

Bergamot syrup

makes about 1 cup

6 bergamot fruits – juice and zest
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1/2 cup water

1) Wash, zest, and juice the bergamots. Strain the juice and set aside.
2) Combine sugar, water and bergamot zest in a medium, heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until thickened and reduced to about half. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
3) Remove from heat, skim any foam, and strain out the zest. Allow to cool and once cooled stir in the bergamot juice. Transfer to a bottle or jar and store in the fridge.

TIPS! Use for tea, pancakes, desserts or even in a salad dressing. You can also use the syrup with ice and sparkling water for a refreshing drink.

Bergamot fruits :: Photographed and styled by Sonja DahlgrenBergamot syrup :: Photographed and styled by Sonja Dahlgren

Ulrica (Från sött till salt) - January 22, 2014 - 11:41 am

Åh en sådan tur att jag då i sista minuten beställde till 2 kg bergamott från Årstidernas låda som kommer i morgon. :) Detta måste jag testa och även göra marmelad.

Det ser fantastiskt gott och vackert ut!

Kram.

Fröken Dill - January 22, 2014 - 11:59 am

Kul, jag tror aldrig att jag sett färsk Bergamott, ens på bild! Svårgillar doften och te smaksatt med Bergamott!

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - January 22, 2014 - 12:00 pm

A great recipe and gorgeous photography. I’ve never eaten bergamots nor have I seen any around here. Maybe the only way to get some would really be to order them… I would love to have a drizzle of this tart sunshine in my cup of tea!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 22, 2014 - 12:41 pm

Ulrica – härligt! Du kommer älska Årstiderna. Såg du rabattkoden via IG? Kram

Frk Dill – Vad roligt att jag kanske bidrog till det första visuella intrycket då ;-) Ja, smaken är helt fantastisk. För att inte tala om doften.

Sini – Thank you so much! You should keep an eye open for them, although I think they are not common in our grocery stores up north. I’ve only seen them through “Årstiderna”.

Ondina Maria - January 22, 2014 - 5:40 pm

I live in Portugal, therefore very close to Morocco and bergamot is not something we can easily find. But if I do, I’ll surely buy it to try this syrup :)

Sara på Vardag.nu - January 22, 2014 - 9:08 pm

Har svårt för earl grey just för den smaken… Det funkar inte för mig! Blir ändå väldigt nyfiken både på detta och marmeladen. Låter gott!

Linda - January 23, 2014 - 9:47 am

Fantastiska bilder Sonja! Hade ingen aning om att bergamot såg ut sådär.. haha.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 23, 2014 - 1:28 pm

Ondina Maria – Lovely to hear stories from the south of Europe – I had no idea that bergamot would be difficult to get hold of even for you guys :-)

Sara – tänk vad olika smaken är! Jag som älskar den där karaktäristiska bergamot-tonen i Earl Grey ;-)

Linda – tack Linda! Nu vet du :-D

Ulrica {Från sött till salt} - January 23, 2014 - 8:17 pm

Lådan stog utanför dörren när jag kom hem igår och det ska bli så himla spännande att testa på att laga något med bergamott. Dom doftar fantastiskt! Direkt efter jobbet i morgon är det jag som ställer mig och gör denna sirap. :)

Josefin - January 24, 2014 - 12:15 am

Spännande, och fina bilder!
Smakar det som Earl grey?

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 25, 2014 - 1:09 pm

Ulrica – härligt! Visst är det underbart med grönsakslåda vid dörren när man kommer hem! Nyfiken på om det blivit någon sirap ännu?

Josefin – tack! Japp, doften och smaken av skalet är samma som den karakteristiska Earl Grey-smaken. Saften är bara oerhört sur/bitter/besk. Inte ens jag som älskar sura saker kan få ner den utan att blanda med annat. Sirapen fick mycket “earl grey” smak tack vare skalen.

C - January 30, 2014 - 6:00 pm

Bergamott is my favourite too! It’s so hard to find, unfortunately. Last year I bought some from “Morot och annat” when they had their lovely shop in Malmö but this year I feel lost since I don’t know where to find organic bergamotts anymore. I just went to Årstidernas home page but I could not find any there now either. Did you order yours long ago?
Last year I made a marmelade that was made by cooking the whole fruit in a small amount of water for quite a long time and when the fruit was very soft I mashed it with a hand mixer and some sugar. It was the best marmelade ever… =) I don’t know why this fruit hasn’t become as popular as the other kinds of citrus.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 3, 2014 - 8:23 pm

C – Yes, they can be really hard to find unfortunately. I got mine from Årstiderna about three weeks ago, but probably since it’s seasonal produce they don’t sell them any longer. The marmalade recipe with a whole fruit sounds interesting – I think I stumbled over it at Årstiderna’s web too.

Fröken Dill - February 5, 2014 - 10:32 am

jag blev bara tvungen att beställa bergamotter efter att ha läst det här!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 5, 2014 - 11:56 am

Fröken Dill – härligt!!

[…] commence par le sirop de bergamote de Dagmar’s Kitchen. Idéal pour sucrer les pancakes, yaourts, infusions… et en prime dans cet article, toute une […]

[…] image: Dagmar’s Kitchen […]