Gluten free and grain free honey granola

Finally winter has arrived in Gothenburg. After months of mild and rainy weather the freezing cold northern winds let us know that winter is here. For sure.

And I love it.

I love putting on my warmest winter coat and my coziest woolen shawl and step outside to feel the cold grabbing my cheeks and to breathe the fresh air that the cold brings.

You’d think that I would post something warm on a day like this. And we do frequently have warm breakfasts like porridge or scrambled eggs. Especially in the winter. But granola with yoghurt is my “go-to” breakfast all year round because it is both delicious, fast, healthy and versatile. And I just had to share with you the best granola I’ve ever had.

That I ever made.

Gluten free and grain free honey granola :: Photographed and styled by Sonja DahlgrenGluten free and grain free honey granola :: Photographed and styled by Sonja Dahlgren

I’ve always loved müsli and granola of all sorts (except for over-sweetened store-bought kinds) and I’ve always made it with the traditional mix of grains, seeds and nuts. But as I’m trying to adjust my diet to eat less grains I immediately found this recipe super interesting when I came across it on Pinterest a few weeks ago.

It is not that I have anything at all against grains. I’ve just found that I feel better when eating less grains and fast carbs. And that I don’t get as hungry in between meals when sticking to a diet with more proteins, good fats and lots of vegetables.

I’ve tried the chocolate version that Gourmande in the Kitchen posted and it is delicious. I just used raw cacao nibs instead of the suggested bittersweet chocolate.

This time though I wanted to make a more basic granola that can easily be varied with different fruits, berries or other toppings. And this is by far the best granola I’ve ever had. And I can hardly wait until summer when we can have it with fresh berries outside on a sunny day…

But, till then I light candles in the windows and embrace the much longed-for winter.

Enjoy!

1 tsp powdered vanilla
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup (40 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds

1) Soak walnuts, almonds and cashew nuts in water with a pinch of salt overnight or for at least 6 hours. Soaking the nuts first removes the enzyme inhibitors, making them easier to digest.
2) Preheat the oven to 95° C (200° F). Drain and rinse the nuts and wipe excess water off using a clean tea towel.
3) Place the nuts in the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer and pulse until just coarsely chopped. If using a stand mixer you might need to help a little by scraping the nuts down the sides a few times.
4) In a sauce pan over low heat melt together the honey, coconut oil and sea salt stirring continually to combine. Add vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon and whisk until well combined.
5) Add the honey mixture to the nuts in the food processor and pulse to combine.
6) Add shredded coconut, chia seeds and sesame seeds to the bowl and pulse again until just until well mixed.
7) Spread the honey nut mixture evenly on a parchment paper on a baking tray and bake for about 4 hours – or until dry, crispy and golden in color.
8) Let the granola cool on the baking tray or leave it in the oven when turned off to dry completely.

Keeps for about a week in an airtight container. I added pistachios and dried pomegranate seeds for color and texture.

……..

TIPS! If you’re allergic to nuts – the nuts can be replaced with a mix of e.g. sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Or if for budget reasons (nuts can be quite expensive) you can replace 1/3 or 1/2 of the nuts with sunflower seeds.

……..

Ondina Maria - January 13, 2014 - 4:05 pm

I am sooooooooooooooo baking this! It must be absolutely delicious. I feel like I want to kiss you for sharing this recipe :p

Mikaela - January 13, 2014 - 4:14 pm

Åh! Det här måste jag testa. Låter supergott.

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - January 13, 2014 - 4:15 pm

Greetings from -15°C. Yes, winter came to Finland as well. It’s so beautiful outside with the white, glistening snow and bright sunshine. Thank you for posting this tempting granola recipe, Sonja! There can never be enough granola recipes out there. This is a really interesting variation. Presoaking the nuts, no rolled oats or quinoa flakes… Can’t wait to make a patch of it!

Stephanie {Mitt skafferi} - January 13, 2014 - 4:20 pm

Åh, så gott det låter! Hade tänkt att jag skulle ta och göra en laddning müsli snart så då ska jag nog testa ditt recept :)

Nina - January 13, 2014 - 4:26 pm

Låter ju helt underbart gott- måste provlagas!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 13, 2014 - 5:00 pm

Ondina Maria – Haha, LOL at your comment! Thank you!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 13, 2014 - 5:02 pm

Mikaela – ja, det måste du verkligen ;-)

Sini – It is even colder where you are then ;-) Yes, this one is delicious – nothing like usual granolas!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 13, 2014 - 5:03 pm

Stephanie & Nina – ja prova! Ni kommer inte bli besvikna om ni har samma smak som jag ;-)

Juliana - January 13, 2014 - 5:45 pm

I have my go-to granola recipe with grains, but I really think I need to try this one. Looks delicious!

Sara på Vardag.nu - January 13, 2014 - 7:51 pm

Så härligt knaprig din granola ser ut, som Start som man alltid åt när man var yngre :p

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 14, 2014 - 10:07 am

Juliana – Yes, try! I’m sure you’ll like it.

Sara – Precis så Sara! Faktiskt så kom idén av just det att min dotter fick smak för naturell Start när vi var borta över jul. Men den innehåller ju då tyvärr mer än 1/5 raffinerat socker (känns lite onödigt till frukost), så jag tänkte att jag skulle göra något liknande. Fast nyttigare. Och hon gillar denna, tack och lov!

Sofia - February 3, 2014 - 11:27 am

Ser supergott ut, och nyttigt!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 3, 2014 - 8:24 pm

Sofia – japp, det här är en sån grej – både galet gott och nyttigt (i små doser…)!

Ulrica – Krii's Kitchen - January 13, 2015 - 8:11 pm

Det ser magiskt gott ut Sonja. Själv har jag snöat in på en granola med kakao, kakaonibs och frystorkade hallon eller jordgubbar. Den är dock inte glutenfri. Jag kan inte tänka mig att köpa müsli eller granola längre, det är alldeles för sött. Tänk vad smaksensorerna kan förändras. :)

Surfade förresten runt på din sida häromdagen och hamnade på ett inlägg där du undrar varför du bloggar egentligen. Du satte verkligen ord på det som jag funderar på just nu. Blev en härlig pepp.

Kram Ulrica

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - January 13, 2015 - 8:18 pm

Ja, visst är det godast med hemgjord müsli/granola Ulrica! Den enda jag köper är Paulun’s när jag vill ha omväxling eller inte orkar/hinner göra egen. Kul att jag kunde inspirera/motivera dig till att fortsätta blogga genom mitt gamla inlägg :) Det är minsann inte alltid lätt med motivationen och blogglädjen! Kram

Valentina @Hortus - January 14, 2015 - 5:46 pm

It’s funny how I used to think the worst things about winter, but as I started falling deep in love with the countryside, I love even the foggiest of days! Still, our January is being sunny and warm, and nonetheless I’m perfectly fine with it. I cannot even imagine how it’s like to step out in Gothenburg!
I always made granola with nuts and seeds alone – maybe some buckwheat thrown in (which is technically a seed anyway), but I never thought of chopping things up that finely! I really want to try and make it just like you did! Pinned and saved <3

Jessica - August 27, 2016 - 8:41 am

Hi Sonja, I love the sound of this but always seem to have my granola on too high temperature when I makevit myself so it tastes a little charred. This recipe says to leave in the oven for 4 hours (?!), what temperature would you have that on? Thanks, Jessica

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - August 27, 2016 - 8:58 am

Hi Jessica! I’m happy you found this and like the sound of it! The teperature in the recipe is 95 C/200 F, and with such low temperature it is no risk for burning! I love slow roasting my granola and have found it the very best way to avoid burning! Do also search for another recipe (incl grains) called “slow roasted granola”. Have a lovely weekend!

[…] gluten-free granola was inspired both by Dolly & Oatmeal’s and Dagmar’s Kitchen’s. Both recipes are way better than mine, but I made this granola so that it suits my needs and […]

[…] fresh berries or fruit Honey Granola – try one of these homemade granolas: basic oat granola, grain free granola or slow roasted apple & rosehip […]