A Vegetable Literacy lunch – Radicchio salad with walnut vinaigrette and toasted bread crumbs

Radicchio salad with walnut vinaigrette and toasted bread crumbs :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

I love cookbooks. And I have tons. And even if it’s not entirely true, I hardly ever read them. And I hardly ever use a recipe. I just look at the pictures.

And I get inspired to cook.

But there is one book I tend to return to over and over again. Not so often to actually use a recipe, but to seek inspiration on how to combine and how to flavor vegetables. The book Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison is an endless source of inspiration to me, and I absolutely love it.

And this is just a quick post to share a recipe from the book.

One that I made for lunch today.

Its is simple. So simple. But I thought I’d share it with you anyway since I believe we sometimes need to be inspired to make those effortless, simple meals.

And to never underestimate the quality of simple foods.

The recipe is straight from the book. I just added a few roughly chopped walnuts and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup for sweetness.

I hope you like it as much as I do!

What’s your favorite cookbook – if you could only choose one? I’d love to know.

Radicchio salad with walnut vinaigrette and toasted bread crumbs

serves 2 or 4

1 head Chioggia radicchio
1 egg, hard cooked
2 tbsp chopped parsley
sea salt
fresh bread crumbs crisped in olive oil and roughly chopped walnuts to finish
a tiny drizzle of maple syrup (optional)

Walnut-shallot vinaigrette

makes about 1/3 cup

1 large shallot, finely diced
sea salt
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp walnut oil

1) Combine the shallot, salt and vinegar for the vinaigrette in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Then whisk in the mustard and walnut oil. If the vinaigrette is too sharp, whisk in a little more oil.
2) Quarter the radicchio head through the stem end, then slice the quarters very thinly crosswise.
3) Peel the egg and chop the white and yolk.
4) Toss the radicchio with the vinaigrette and the parsley. Arrange the radicchio on individual plates. Top with the chopped egg, bread crumbs and walnuts and serve.

Sofia - February 11, 2014 - 12:47 pm

This looks delicious, love the vinaigrette!

Fröken Dill - February 11, 2014 - 1:00 pm

Vilket bra boktips – låter som en “måste-ha-bok”!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 11, 2014 - 3:47 pm

Sofia – thank you so much! The vinaigrette is delish…

Fröken Dill – vassego! Den är helt fantastisk – mer som en uppslagsbok i hur man bäst kombinerar grönsaker och smaker. Fast med recept också.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com - February 12, 2014 - 8:15 am

Walnut vinaigrette sounds super delicious :)

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - February 12, 2014 - 12:13 pm

Thank you for introducing us to Deborah’s book. I’ve seen it all over the Internet but somehow I haven’t really payed it much attention (shame on me, really). Now I’m excited to get my own copy! It’s impossible to name just one favorite cookbook – there are so many! Fo me, it depends on the season, my mood, and what I’m looking for. Do I look for eye candy? Inspiration? A Sunday dinner idea? Mind-blowing bread recipes? Flavor pairings? Scandinavian, Bavarian, or something more exotic? Hmmm… Well, I guess Nigel Slater is a name that’s always worth the mention ;)

chris - February 14, 2014 - 3:29 pm

vad är tallrikarna från?

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 15, 2014 - 1:12 pm

Kiran – it sure is!!

Sini – I’m pretty convinced that, if you love cooking/cookbooks and if you love vegetables – this is the only book you really need! :-)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 15, 2014 - 1:12 pm

Chris – tallrikarna kommer från en engelsk keramiker som heter Sue Paraskeva.

Pam Woolway - March 5, 2014 - 11:25 pm

Have you discovered “Plenty” by Yotam Ottolenghi. Beautiful photography and easy, exciting recipes. Happy to discover your site. A warm aloha from Kauai.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - March 6, 2014 - 10:04 am

Hi Pam! I’ve only heard about it, but never browsed through it. There are so many cookbooks I’d like to own – especially those with stunning photography… Glad you found your way here!

Breana - June 16, 2015 - 7:59 pm

I discovefed your website a few days ago and i made this beautiful salad. It was sooooo delicious! My mom and i loved it. Thank you!