Blackberry financiers and A save-the-date note

Blackberry financiers :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

First of all I am so excited to announce a save-the-date for an upcoming food photography workshop that I have been working on for a while. This will be my only class this spring and I hope to see some of you there! It will be held in Swedish – so this note is mostly for my Swedish speaking readers. But please keep on reading for a recipe further down…

The workshop is going to be super interesting for those of you who love food, food photography and food styling and are interested in learning more about the areas of foraging and wild foods.

I am teaming up with Klara Hansson at Stadsssallad for this workshop and she will be our guide on a foraging tour where we will gather wild edible greens to accompany our meal and to use for styling during the day. The workshop will be held in Gothenburg, Sweden on May 24. More info to come shortly!

Blackberry financiers :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

And I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am for another reason, and that is the fact that I have signed up for a 3-days’ workshop in Paris with one of my favorite food stylists/photographers – Béatrice Peltré of La Tartine Gourmande. When I first started taking pictures of food, Béa was one of my biggest sources of inspiration (she still is!) and I have been wanting for quite some time now to attend one of her workshops.

And now was the time for me…

So you can be sure that I will return filled with inspiration, new tools and fresh ideas for my May workshop here in Gothenburg.

Blackberry financiers :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

Béas post also reminded me that I still had a bunch of frozen blackberries from the garden in the freezer and I instantly felt an urge to bake something with them. This adapted recipe of the classic French financiers is one of my go-to recipes when I feel like baking.

I can’t tell you how much I love the combo of browned butter and almond flour… And I’ve also replaced some of the sugar with coconut sugar, which makes them less sweet and won’t make your blood sugar rush as fast as with traditional ones. You can use any berries or fruit that are in season (or use frozen) – but I love blackberries or raspberries for this recipe.

Utskriftsvänligt recept
Printable recipe

Blackberry financiers (gluten free)

makes about 12

7 tbsp (100 g) unsalted butter + more for greasing
1 vanilla bean, split open and seeds scraped out

2/3 cup (90 g) almond flour
6 tbsp brown rice flour
3 tbsp raw cane sugar
3 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt

4 egg whites

blackberries or other berries

1) Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F). Melt a small amount butter over low heat and brush your financier tins with a thin layer. Set aside.
2) In a small pot melt the butter over medium heat until it turns light brown in color and begins to smell nutty. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla seeds (and bean) and let rest for 10 minutes.
3) In a small bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks starts to form.
4) Remove the vanilla bean from the browned butter and combine the butter with the dry ingredients. Stir until well blended, then gently fold in the egg whites using a spatula until no white streaks remain.
5) Divide the batter among the financier tins, place the berries on top and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes – until golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Blackberries :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - February 3, 2014 - 7:59 pm

Lucky you! The workshop with Béa will surely be wonderful. And these financiers look gorgeous – so delicate. I don’t have blackberries in my freezer but maybe I’ll make them with some raspberries or blackcurrants (my current obsession).

Hope you have a great week!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 3, 2014 - 8:20 pm

Sini – yes, I’m really really looking forward to the workshop! For sure there will be a blog post on that too :-)

Kristin // The Chocolate Box - February 3, 2014 - 8:29 pm

Åh, workshop i Paris, vad roligt! Studion ser ju helt underbar ut. Lucky you! :D

Ska försöka åka på nån utav dina workshops nångång innan jag avancerar till Paris ;) Hoppas att det ska klaffa med tidpunkt och pengar och allt sånt nångång fram över! :)

Cathrine - February 3, 2014 - 8:41 pm

oh my god, these are gorgeous! I don’t have financier moulds, but I have madeleine ones – could I use this recipe for madeleines? <3

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 3, 2014 - 8:46 pm

Kristin – jag vet! Kan knappt bärga mig till april… Och vad glad jag blir att du vill komma på en av mina workshops – hoppas att du får till det nån gång!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 3, 2014 - 8:49 pm

Cathrine – thank you! You could use silicone muffins cups or just ordinary muffins paper liners in a muffin tin. This recipe makes about 8 normal size muffins. Madeleine moulds I’m not sure of, but you could always give it a try!

Stephanie {Mitt skafferi} - February 3, 2014 - 11:17 pm

Om du visste vad jag är avis på dig! En workshop med Béa, och i Paris av alla platser… Låter hur underbart som helst :)

annelie_ua / blomsterochbakverk - February 4, 2014 - 9:39 am

Åh, det låter fantastiskt med Paris. Och en dag skulle jag gärna vara med på en av dina workshops – du är så oerhört inspirerande och jag vill lära mig mer! Receptet låter också fantastiskt – kvalar in på att-baka-listan med en gång. Tack!

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 4, 2014 - 9:54 am

Stephanie – Jag vet – känner mig oerhört lyckligt lottad som har möjlighet att vara med den här gången. Jobbar man med skapande och även med att försöka inspirera andra så måste (och vill!) man verkligen se till att fylla på inspiration från annat håll med jämna mellanrum också. Det ska bli SÅ roligt!

Annelie – tack så mycket! Hade varit jättekul att ha dig med nån gång. Hoppas kakan smakar när du bakar!

elin - February 4, 2014 - 11:37 am

Ååh nej!! Hade velat gå på din workshop, men är inte hemma då :((

Varför har du inga fler datum? Hade verkligen varit så kul! :)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - February 4, 2014 - 3:52 pm

Elin – vad synd! Nej i vår har jag tyvärr inga fler, men håll utkik för troligen blir det igen i september/oktober om det finns efterfrågan.

maria at inredningsvis - February 11, 2014 - 6:14 pm

MMMM underbart recept :) blir glad härinne

Ny post ute……skor som het inredning :)

Ha en härlig vecka söt :)

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis – inredning it’s, Swedish for decor :)