Gluten free double chocolate brownies with salted fudge frosting

Gluten free double chocolate brownies with salted fudge frosting :: Sonja Dahlgren/Dagmar's Kitchen

There’s something about chocolate that makes people go crazy. Myself included.

When I was little and started baking it was always chocolate balls made with rolled oats, butter, sugar and cacao. Then I went on to more proper baking like marbled cake, chewy chocolate muffins and nutty chocolate squares. In fact most recipes I can recall had chocolate in them.

These days when my kids want to bake it’s always the traditional swedish chocolate balls (mentioned above) or ‘drömtårta’ {dream cake} – a kind of chocolate swiss roll filled with vanilla buttercream. The kids call it dad’s favorite cake. Simply because that’s about the only cake he likes.

Oh, I have to share that recipe sometime. It’s naturally gluten free by the way.

Talking about chocolate, there are also certain blog posts that become more popular than others. And they (almost) always have chocolate in them. This is such a blog post. It’s in Swedish and I’ve received tons of emails just because of that post, from people who want to get the recipe in English. And I don’t know how many pins and repins it’s gotten on Pinterest. That is so fascinating!

I believe chocolate is the key to people’s hearts. What do you think?

And the thing is. That recipe turned out so great. And ever since, I have been wanting to make a somewhat healthier version of it. So I did some experimenting with natural sweeteners and buckwheat flour. And guess what? It turned out even better than the original recipe.

However, I don’t actually believe you can call a cake ‘healthy’ just by removing the wheat flour and swap the refined sugar for natural sweeteners.

But sweets are for treats right? Meaning we don’t eat them every day anyway. And this is truly a treat. Made a little healthier (and more delicious!) by replacing the wheat flour and the white sugar with healthier alternatives.

Other chocolatey treats you might want to try right now are these little Sarah Bernard biscuits from Green Kitchen Stories, this god-sent creation from Dolly and Oatmeal or this dreamy decadent loaf cake from The Vanilla Bean Blog.

These blog posts all make me wish I had more time to bake in my life!

And to celebrate spring I think you should decorate everything with pansies. Chocolate suits them, don’t you think?

Oh, and I almost forgot – if you read Swedish you can find a little interview with me over at Femina, where I also share my recipe for sunchoke soup with steamed blue mussels.

Now, here’s the brownie recipe. Enjoy!

Printable recipe
Utskriftsvänligt recept

Gluten free double chocolate brownies with salted fudge frosting

12-20 squares depending on size

175 g butter
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (100 g) coconut sugar (you can use raw cane sugar or granulated fine sugar if you like)
6 tbsp (60 g) light muscovado sugar
6 tbsp (40 g) powdered cacao of good quality (e.g. Valrhona)
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (90 g) buckwheat flour
50 g bittersweet chocolate of good quality, roughly chopped (I use Valrhona Caraibe)

Salted fudge frosting
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp heavy cream
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp maple syrup
200 g bittersweet chocolate of good quality, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
pistachios, roughly chopped
edible flowers, optional

1) Preheat the oven to 180° C (350 ° F). Line a small baking tray (ca. 20×30 cm) with buttered parchment paper.
2) Using an electric hand mixer or a table-top mixer whisk the butter and sugars together until creamy and fluffy. Add cacao, maple syrup and salt using a rubber spatula.
3) Add the eggs (one at a time) to the mixture. When all the egg has been incorporated, gently fold in the buckwheat flour and the chopped chocolate still using your rubber spatula.
4) Scrape the mixture into the baking tray and spread it out very gently. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean or just a little sticky. Let cool a bit before lifting the cake out of the tray. Then cool completely on a wire rack.
5) For the frosting, bring cream, milk and maple syrup just to the boil and then pour it over the chopped chocolate. Let sit for a minute or two and then stir until smooth and well mixed. Add the salt and let cool.
6) When the cake is completely cooled, spread the frosting over the cake. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios and put in the fridge to set for 30-60 minutes before cutting it.

Decorate with pansies (or other edible flowers) and enjoy! The brownies keep well in the freezer for up to three months.

Karin - April 3, 2014 - 8:40 am

Sonja, du har gjort det igen! Så vackert, så gott! Måste iväg till gymmet nu, så att jag kan äta upp resten när jag kommer tillbaka. Kram!

Sara på Vardag.nu - April 3, 2014 - 9:10 am

Vackert och gott!

Katarina - April 3, 2014 - 10:20 am

Ser underbart goda ut! Ha en fin dag, kram!

Ulrica {Från sött till salt} - April 3, 2014 - 12:17 pm

Woah! Dom ser underbara ut på mer än ett sätt. Måste testas.
Ha en finfin torsdag Sonja. :)

/Ulrica

Jenny - April 3, 2014 - 5:23 pm

Sonja! Är så impad, inte bara av dina fantastiska bilder, utan även din blogg i stort. Så proffsig!! Kram

Aimee / WallflowerGirl.co.uk - April 3, 2014 - 10:37 pm

Lilli @ Sugar and Cinnamon - April 3, 2014 - 10:48 pm

I’ve seen those photos from your other popular brownie recipe everywhere! It’s constantly popping up on my pinterest! No wonder chocolate is the best thing ever :) These look lovely.

Pang - April 3, 2014 - 11:27 pm

What a lovely blog you have. I love the recipe & I love your photos. So happy to find your blog :)

KC - April 5, 2014 - 4:56 am

I just found your blog through Ashely English. I am swooning over your photography. And you cook just like I do. I’m so excited to have found such a wonderful new blog follow. There are so many recipes I can’t wait to try! :)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 5, 2014 - 3:28 pm

Karin – haha! Ja, den här borde passa din smak. Bra anledning att gå oftare till gymet ;-) Kram

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 5, 2014 - 3:28 pm

Sara på Vardag.nu – tack!

Katarina – tack snälla!

Ulrica – tack så mycket! Lova att hojta till om du testar! Kram

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 5, 2014 - 3:29 pm

Jenny – tack snälla, vad roligt att du tycker det! Kram

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 5, 2014 - 3:42 pm

Lilli – thank you! Yes, chocolate is almost a basic need for many of us isn’t it? ;-)

Pang – thank you so much! Happy to have you here!

KC – Thank you – I’m so glad you like it here!

Sini | my blue&white kitchen - April 5, 2014 - 3:52 pm

Whoa! Just look at them. Perfect. I totally agree with you that chocolate has something magical to it – I doupt there’s a ingredient more loved than chocolate is. This recipe is definitely bookmarked. I’ll make it the next time I crave something decandent & chocolatey.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 7, 2014 - 9:10 am

Sini – thank you so much! I could live without many things, but chocolate I’m not sure of ;-) Please let me know if you do try it!

Amy @ItsAMindfulLife - April 9, 2014 - 12:59 am

Hello Sonja:
This is my first time visiting your website and I absolutely LOVE it! This recipe looks amazing and the photos/styling are perfect! Wonderful job!

Imen - April 9, 2014 - 1:30 pm

These are so absolutely stunning and inviting Dagmar…..I love your beautiful blog, so happy to discover you via Insta and now here. Daymaker =)
Imen xx

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - April 14, 2014 - 8:46 am

Amy – Thank you so much!

Imen – :-) Thank you and likewise ;-)

Izy - July 25, 2014 - 6:55 pm

Just saw these on Pinterest (don’t know how I managed to miss them before). Absolutely GORGEOUS, Sonja. They look divine :)

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} - July 25, 2014 - 10:49 pm

Thank you so much Izy! :)

[…] Recipe courtesy of > Dagmar's Kitchen […]

[…] I trawled through my recipe books then I began trawling the internet.  It was when I happened upon Dagmar’s Kitchen that I hit pay dirt!  Sonia’s recipe is much healthier than my version and although I […]

The Friday List - Local is Lovely - May 6, 2015 - 2:01 am

[…] Favourite new blogs this week – The Broken Bread and Dagmar’s Kitchen. Both so stunning, clever, inspiring and exciting. How incredible do these gluten free double chocolate brownies with salted fudge brownies sound? […]

[…] FOR MY ENGLISH SPEAKING READERS!! I have had quite a few questions on this recipe lately. And just now I stumbled upon the google translate of the recipe and realized that the translation states cups instead of decilitres. Using a cup instead of a decilitre would make a huge difference, so please use 1 decilitre = 100 ml where the recipe states “1 dl” – not cup! There is also an English (and gluten free) version on this recipe here. […]

[…] do for this chocolate bourbon mousse cake I have to say, I can’t stop dancing to this Too pretty to eat? Nahhhh. But almost. This house getting a winter haircut Who wants to go to Tasmania? Thai Tea is my favorite […]